Wednesday, September 22, 2010

More talk about costumes

I have been working on the kids costumes off and on over the past few weeks.  I thought I would talk about some of the stuff I have got for them so far.  The first things that I bought were some belts that I found on clearance.  I happened to be walking through Walmart and spotted them.  They looked like the perfect addition for the costumes.  That same morning I decided to check out a local thrift store.  I don't normally go to thrift stores (though I may start going more regularly now), but thought I might see if they have anything I could use.  I was really surprised at all of the things they had there and for great prices.  Not everything of course, because they had a pair of really visibly used boots that they were selling for 50 bucks LOL, but I will explain about that later.

For the costumes I need to make special boots.  I really needed platform boots, but realistically that wouldn't work for small children.  I got really lucky that day at the thrift store and I found the perfect size boots to use for my son's costume,  a shirt, & fake leather jacket for my youngest daughter's costume.  The boots were 4 bucks, the shirt was 2 bucks, & the fake leather jacket was 3 bucks.   The pants for their costumes I purchased at JC Penney a couple of months ago, so I guess that was actually the first items I bought for the costumes and not the belts.  They are a fake looking shiny leather type pants.

I went to Joann's craft & fabric store & bought some costume fabric for parts of the costumes & boots, some fabric paint for the boots, sequins, & some little bling bling jewels.  I'm done with the 2 younger kids boots so far & almost done with 1 of my oldest daughter's boots.  I already had thread & lots of glue sticks that I have been using a ton of.

I went back with my oldest daughter to the thrift store a couple of weeks ago.  They had  some boots that looked like total rocker boots.  They were definitely in worn/used condition, but they would have worked well with the costumes.  I wore the tag on the boots said 4.95, but when we went to check out they rang up as 49.95.  I was like ummmm heck no, not for a costume LOL.  Come to find out they were these boots that sell for a lot of money.  I had checked on ebay and googled them and they run about 300 - 400 bucks a pair.  I still think it's crazy that they were 50 bucks at a thrift store though, especially since they were in very worn/used condition.

I went back to the thrift store again a couple of days later and found the perfect boots to use for my oldest daughter.  They ended up costing 4 bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment